- clipboard and pencil
- small paper bags or sealable plastic bags
Key Science Concepts
- There are many different types of plants and seeds.
- It is important to treat the environment with respect and care.
Encourage children to use words about plants like leaves, flowers, branches, and stems, and encourage science process words like sorting, categories, and collections.
Tell children they’re going to make a collection of things they find outdoors. Give them bags to gather things from plants and trees.
- While still outside, invite them to sort the things they found into categories—seeds, twigs, leaves, for example.
- Take photographs of what they sorted. Ask them to describe their collections and take notes.
- Have children select items they want to bring back inside and place those back in their bag.
Reflect and Share
Once inside, ask children to describe the items in their bags.