- The Carrot Seed by Ruth Krauss
Key Science Concepts
- Plants grow from seeds.
Before you read: Show children the cover, and read the title and author’s name. Ask children, What do you think the boy on the cover is doing?
After you read: Ask,
- Why do you think no one believes that the boy’s seed will grow? What does the boy think?
- How does he take care of his carrot seed?
- Does this story remind you of the PEEP episode we watched yesterday? How is it similar?
- Do you think that a REAL carrot can grow that big or that suddenly?
- Yesterday, we talked about the word patience. Can you explain what patience means and who in the PEEP episode needed to be patient. What about in this story—can you describe how the boy was patient? Have you ever had to be patient?