- boiled potato (prepare ahead of time)
- raw potato
Key Science Concepts
- Many of the foods we eat come from plants.
- We eat certain leaves, roots, fruits, and seeds.
Tell children that a potato is another type of plant that we eat. Today they will investigate a potato and then have the chance to taste one.
- Have children wash their hands.
- Show children a raw potato and ask them to describe what it looks like.
- Pass the potato around and allow children to touch it and ask them to describe how it feels. What do they notice?
- Tell children that we eat potatoes that are cooked. Show children a plate of sliced, cooked potatoes. Give each child a slice to eat.
Reflect and Share
- Ask children whether they liked the taste of the cooked potato. What kind of potato dishes have they eaten (mashed, fried, boiled, French Fries, potato chips)? What’s their favorite?
- Ask children if they know how potatoes grow. Explain that potatoes grow under the soil and are then dug up.